TAKEY CRIST LIBRARY & MUSEUM
MKC City College e-Library’s name was given in honor of Dr. Takey Crist, in June 11th 2009 .
Takey Crist, is the founder of the Cyprus Museum. A surgeon by profession, grew up in Jacksonville, NC, in the 1950's. His parents are both Cypriots. He went to the University of North Carolina where he completed his undergraduate and medical studies. Before he turned 32, Crist was chief resident in obstetrics/gynecology at Chapel Hill. Since then his medical career has moved inexorably upward.
Crist has produced scores of publications in medicine and earned dozens of research grants, teaching posts, and Washington, DC, health - related consultancies. Today he presides over a medical complex in Jacksonville that includes an out - patient surgery center, a birthing center, and the Crist Clinic for Women. The clinic provides family planning, birth control, and obstetrical procedures. "Medicine is what I love to do" he says and he continues to deliver babies.
Crist's passion for Cyprus was born after 1974. "I really became involved in my culture and background after the invasion", Crist explains. "Before the invasion, I had seen my relatives owning orange and lemon orchards and working in banking, and all of a sudden they're sitting in refugee camps, having lost everything. It got to me. So I got involved".
Takey Crist became informed about the antiquities that came out of Cyprus and then acted. "I began reading about the antiquities and the desecration of churches in occupied Cyprus. I talked about it with some friends in Cypriot Organizations, and I decided to buy Cypriot antiquities so that Cyprus's cultural heritage might be preserved. In the summer of 1990 I went to Cyprus with my friend Marios Evriviadis, and we bought old costumes and other folk items. A few weeks later a container appeared at m house. When I realized that I didn't have enough room to house everything, I thought of starting a museum".
That's how Dr Crist came up with the idea of founding the Cyprus Museum. The love for his paternal land and his desire to maintain the heritage of Cyprus alive led and continue leading his actions.
The Learning Resource Centre is situated at the new building, in a quiet area, designed to provide students with a comfortable and well-equipped site, able to meet their academic requirements as well as the professional needs of the personnel. The library includes a vast amount of curricular and co-curricular materials such as books,journals, magazines, tapes and CDs. The book section covers a variety of areas such as literature, computer science, accounting, humanities and social sciences. An online library is also available and it can be accessed via the computers at MKC City College.
Library Opening Hours:
Monday to Friday, morning hours: 8:30am - 1:30pm, afternoon hours: 3:00pm - 5:00 pm
The mission of the MKC City College Library is to provide access to and delivery of information resources to MKC City College students, faculty, and staff in support of the research and instructional mission of the College. The Library develops, organizes, and preserves collections for optimal use and provides links to remote information sources.
The Library provides services, including instruction for information literacy and information management, to enable its users to fulfill their academic and intellectual needs. The Library also provides resources and services to non-College users to the extent possible.
Relying on its highly skilled staff, the Library encourages innovation, capitalizes on appropriate technologies, forges effective partnerships, and aggressively promotes excellence.
MKC City College Patron Agreement
The Library serves the College students, faculty, staff, and other authorized members of the scholarly community. In order to provide an environment conducive to research, to preserve the collections, and to ensure ongoing access to them, users are expected to respect the rules and regulations around use of library materials and property and to assist in the protection of library materials.
Every user of the Library has a responsibility to:
- safeguard the integrity of library resources
- respect the restrictions placed on access to and the use of those resources report to library officers the theft, destruction, or misuse of library resources by others
- respect the rights of others to the quiet use of the Library
- respect the authority of the librarians and staff whose job it is to protect library resources
The following are prohibited:
- illegal copying
- the systematic exploitation for profit of library resources or materials
- unauthorized removal of materials or property from the Library
- destruction, defacement, or abuse of library materials or property
- use of library privileges for reasons other than personal research
Students, staff, faculty members, researchers, visitors, and other users who fail to comply with library rules and regulations are subject to revocation of library privileges, disciplinary action, and legal prosecution. All library users are subject to the fines and penalties of the College.
Library Member Registration
For your access to the library facilities please send us your registration by completing the "Registration Form". Please download here, complete and send it by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org , or by fax at: (00357) 24818572.
For questions please contact our Librarian at: 00357-24818571
Museums, history & civilization
Go to top
Natural history museums
Go to top
History & civilization
- Foundation of the Hellenic World Greek history, with reference to events in Greece from antiquity to modern times, aiming at shedding light to the social, political, economic and cultural activities of its people.
Go to top
Go to top
Go to top
Go to top
Library catalogues Greek libraries
- EKT databases :Databases either produced by or available through EKT (e.g. National Archives of Dissertations)
- Humanities libraries in Greece :Includes the catalogues of collections of Greek history and archaeology research centres and institutes, as well as of foreign institutes of archaeology based in Greece.
- Greek Academic Libraries :Library catalogues of higher education institutes in Greece.
- Public and Municipal Libraries :Library catalogues of public and municipal libraries.
- Libraries in the world :Library catalogues in Europe and North America (Library of Congress, MELVYL Union Catalogue, Oxford University, etc.)
- Periodicals collections :Collections of periodical publications (EKT Journals Union Catalogue, ΕΚΤ/ΕΙΕ Library, etc.)
Go to top
in other countries
Go to top
AGRICOLA / AGRICultural OnLine Access Bibliographic information on all aspects of agriculture and related areas.
ACM Digital Library Bibliographic database of American Computer Machinery.
AHDS - Arts & Humanities Data Service Access to bibliographic data and full text of articles on the topics of archaeology, history and art.
Anemi Digital Library offers to the Internet user, free access of its rich bibliographical database about the Modern Greek Literature. It provides the possibility to browse electronically, a considerable amount of old and rare items, as well as newer publications where authors have allowed both digitization and their free access through internet. ANEMI is composed of four distinct digital collections: Neollinistis, Greek Digital Bibliography 1476-1900, Travel Literature, Markos Mousouros.
The Anthropological Index of the Royal Anthropological Institute Contains bibliographic data of periodicals collections of the Royal Anthropological Institute Library of the British Museum and covers the subjects of anthropology and archaeology.
BioMed Free access to the full text of 110+ journals of biological and medical research.
BUBL Journals Bibliographic data and abstracts of journal articles, as well as access to the full text of hundreds of journal titles from 1991-1995.
- Center for Neo-Hellenic Studies (Spoudasterio Neou Hellenismou, hence the acronym snhell) This site was conceived and created by the Center for Neo-Hellenic Studies (Spoudasterio Neou Hellenismou, hence the acronym snhell) in Athens, Greece. Our Center is a non-profit organization, and was set up in late 1996 in order to promote Modern Greek Literature and Culture, both in Greece and abroad.
Centre for the Greek Language The Centre for the Greek Language acts as a coordinating, advisory and strategic body of the Ministry of Education on matters of language education and policy.
Cyprus Pedagogical Institute «Philologos» journal indexed, by author and by subject.
Diotima: Materials for the Study of Women and Gender in the Ancient World
DOAJ - Directory of Open Access Journals Includes bibliographic information and links to the full text of 1142 journals. 302 journals are searchable at article level. Subjects covered include Agriculture, Biology, Chemistry, Health Sciences, Language and Literature, Natural Sciences, Technology, Arts, Economics, History and Archaeology, Political Science, Philosophy and Religion, Social Sciences.
Education-line A freely accessible database of the full text of conference papers, working papers and electronic literature which supports educational research, policy and practice.
Electrogastrography Full-text database.
EMedicine Medicine e-books.
Euristote Euristote is a university research database on European integration. It covers all aspects associated with the construction of Europe: integration theories, basic and general aspects of European integration; institutional and legal issues; economic, social and cultural issues; political issues; history of the European integration.
Hippocrates Medical Bibliography Greek medical bibliography
Human Anatomy Online Human anatomy illustrated and in detail.
Infotrieve Bibliographic database containing 30 million citations and 20 million abstracts from journals and conference proceedings.
Internet Ancient History Resource Guide Provides access to articles, books and reference works and tools.
- Internet Archive Provides access to historical collections in digital format. The database includes texts, sound files, moving images, software and archived web pages. Valuable for researchers, historians and scholars.
The Internet Library of Pathology Includes over 1900 images along with text, tutorials, laboratory exercises, and examination items for self-assessment that demonstrate gross and microscopic pathological findings associated with human disease conditions.
ILSP - Institute for Language and Speech Processing ILSP carries out applied research in Speech Processing, Text Processing and Language Learning Technologies. Expertise used by the Institute includes basic fields as NLP, DSP and Pattern Recognition. Its mission is mainly to support basic research, promoting on the other hand the development of new products in the form of laboratory prototypes.
jake - jointly administered knowledge environment Search 195 databases simultaneously.
Ktisis.org Contains works by Cypriot authors, tales and proverbs of Cyprus, glossary of the dialect, as well as photographs.
- Langley Technical Reports Server (LRTS) LTRS is a service which allows users to search available online NASA published documents, including Meeting Presentations, Journal Articles, Conference Proceedings, and Technical Reports. Many documents are available in compressed PostScript and PDF formats. All documents are unclassified and publicly available.
Library of Congress - National Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (Braille, audio cassette books)
- Literature about Modern Greek Language - Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Institute of Modern Greek Studies (Manolis Triandaphyllidis Foundation).
MEDLINE (PUBMED)PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine, includes over 15 million citations for biomedical articles back to the 1950's. These citations are from MEDLINE and additional life science journals. PubMed includes links to many sites providing full text articles and other related resources.
Monumenta Germaniae Historica
- NACA Technical Report Server Texts of technical reports by the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics.
National Academy Press (NAP) Publications of the National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, Institute of Medicine, and National Research Council. Covers several subject areas.
NCBI/National Center of Biotechnology Information Medical e-books.
National Information Service for Earthquake Engineering - University of California, Berkeley Bibliographic data and full text of journals, proceedings, monographs and technical reports on earthquake issues.
- OAIster-University of Michigan
- Open J-Gate portal
Paedagogical Institute of Greece - Library
Go to top
- Bartlett's Quotations
- Creative Quotations Database that contains 50.000+ quotations that can be searched by keyword, source, subject and author.
- Mathematical Quotations Server
- Simpson's Contemporary Quotations Contains 10.000+ contemporary (1950-1990) quotations from 4.000+ sources.
- Quotation Center More than 11.000 quotations that can be searched by subject, author and keyword.
- The Quotations Page Over 21.000 quotations by more than 2.500 authors.
Go to top
Search engines, indexes, gateways
Search engines & indexes (Greece)
Go to top
Search engines & indexes (other countries)
Search engines (collections)
Go to top
- Academic Info Access to electronic sources on the following subjects: Area & Countries Studies , The Arts , Biological Sciences , Business , Digital Library , Education , Engineering , Health & Medicine
- ADAM - Art, Design, Architecture & Media Information Gateway Access to electronic sources on art and architecture.
- All the Virology on the WWW
- Ancient Greek (Hellenic) Sites on the World-Wide Web A collection of websites on ancient Greece (full texts, images and maps, information on authors, geography, theatre).
- Art History Resources Resources on art history, museums, etc. Worldwide coverage.
- Biz/ed Web resources on financial statistical data.
- BUBL (BUlletin Board for Libraries) Access to a catalogue of electronic resources on all subjects, with emphasis on Library and Information Science. Provides also bibliographic data and abstracts from journal articles, as well as access to the full text of hundreds of journal titles from 1991-95.
- Byzantine & Medieval Web This page attempts to track allL Byzantine material on the Internet, and all significant entry points for Medieval studies. Has not been updated since 1998.
- Digital Librarian: a librarian's choice of the best of the Web
- ELDIS - Gateway to Development Information
- Electronic Resources for Classicists Access to texts, publications, images, educational information, online seminars and newsgroups related to classical studies.
- Gateway to Educational Materials :Contains a variety of educational resource types from activities and lesson plans to online projects to assessment items.
- Joe Shetler - Link to Ancient Rome Links and resources on the civilization of ancient Rome (numismatics, literature, religion, law and society).
- Internet Ancient History Resource Guide Access to electronic resources on ancient history.
- Internet Modern History Sourcebook
- MEDNET HELLAS (The Geek Medical Network)
- OMNI (Organising Medical Networked Information) Access a searchable catalogue of electronic sources on issues of health and medicine.
- PhysicsWeb : Physics around the World Links to articles, books, organizations, scientific websites, information sources, conferences, etc. on physics.
- PSIgate (Physical Sciences Information Gateway) A free service that offers access to high quality Web resources in the physical sciences; there are currently 12878 resources in astronomy, chemistry, earth sciences, materials sciences, physics, and science history and policy.
- Spin.gr :A Greek gateway on issues of science and technology. [in Greek]
- University of Florida - Classics Collection Provides the following collections (among others) on classics: subject guides, databases, bibliographies, directories of associations, e-texts, journals, thematic collections, and instructional resources.
- World Wide Arts Resources - Museum Archives Art museums, collections museum exhibitions, and archives around the world. You can search alphabetically, by collections, country, or historical period.
Go to top
Go to top
Almanacs & calendars
Go to top
Go to top